The past few days I have posted both Renew Communities “position paper” on the role of women in ministry as well as the process and thinking behind that position. Today I wanted to share some resources that have been helpful for us (or at least short excerpts by people who have written well about this top).
- Women, Ministry Roles & Scripture :: Dr. Ben Witherington III – A killer 7 minute video that addresses the 2 big passages arguing against women in ministry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VQe_nuNJg)
- Junia’s Not Alone by Scot McKnight (a short e-book about women of the Bible & the early church)
- The Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight (book about how we read the Bible, build our theologies & towards the end of the book he uses the issue of women as a great case study of how it all could work)
- Women Ministering by Scot McKnight (if you don’t have time to read a whole book or even a short e-book this gives a very basic understanding of McKnight’s starting point in 2 pages)
- Discovering our Evangelical Heritage by Donald Dayton (this book gives great historical perspective of our evangelical roots. It’s exciting and refreshing throughout the whole book – with a small section exploring the role of women throughout this history)
- Gender & Leadership in the Missional Perspective :: This is a workshop with Cherith Fee-Nordling & McKnight from a Missional Theology conference called Missio Alliance. It’ll cost you a couple of bucks but is WELL worth it.
- How I Changed My Mind About Women in Leadership :: This is book that’s a collection of stories from people who went from believing women’s role in ministry is limited to believing they can serve in any role in the church.